Teaching the children grace and courtesy in the classroom.
Finding something to admire in someone else.
2 1/2 – 3 1/2
Awareness of others in the class.
Invite 3-4 children to come participate in your lesson. Show each child where exactly to sit. Have the older child sit down as well. Once the children are seated, you sit so that you can see them all, they all can see you, and yet you are not in front of them.
- Tell the children that we sometimes find someone beautiful or we really like their work they have done.
- Tell the children that we can express our admiration for someone by telling them what it is we like about them.
- Tell them that we are all going to practice how to express admiration for each other.
- Turn to face one child and look them in the eyes.
- Smile and say, “ (child’s name), you have a beautiful dress on today.” (The child can respond with, ‘thank you’.)
- Turn to face another child and look them in the eyes.
- Smile and say, “ (child’s name), you have a beautiful sweater on today.”
- Continue showing admiration for each child in the group, saying something specific to each child.
- Then offer each child the opportunity to show admiration for each other. (They can use what you had said.)
Tell the children that they can now express their admiration for someone in the classroom whenever they would like.
Excuse each child at a time, making sure each child has thought of what he would like to de next.