To prepare the child for using scissors.
Seeing that the sharp part of the object is covered and held so that it is safe.
Development of child’s awareness to sharp and possibly dangerous objects.
2 1/2 - 3 1/2
A table an a pair of scissors
Prepare a child's table with one pair of scissors on it. Make sure the sharp part is on the left side and the handle part is on the right side of where you will stand. Invite 3-4 children to come participate in your lesson by telling them you have something to show them. Show each child where exactly to sit and once the children are seated, you sit so that you can see them all, they all can see you, and yet you are not in front of them. Call their attention to the scissors and tell them that you are going to show them how to carry a pair of scissors.
- Stand so that the pair of scissors is lying in front of you and at a reachable distance.
- Take you right thumb and place it in the middle of the bottom hole of the handle.
- Take your right index finger and place it in the center of the top hole of the handle.
- Pinch your two fingers together.
- Raise your right hand slightly off the table.
- Wrap your left thumb under the scissor part.
- Wrap your four left fingers over the scissor part and cover your thumb.
- Rotate the scissors so that they are vertical.
- Un-pinch your right thumb and index finger.
- Undo your grasp of the handles by removing your right thumb and right index finger.
- Cup your right hand under the tip of the scissors.
- Bring your hands toward your body so that they are about at lower chest level.
- Walk carefully around a designated space all the while checking that the walkway is clear of obstacles.
- Come back to the spot of the demonstration.
- Un-cup your right hand from the bottom of the scissors.
- Rotate your left hand clockwise so that the scissors are now horizontal with the handles on the right side.
- Place your right thumb inside the hole nearest you.
- Place your right index finger in the other hole.
- Pinch both fingers together.
- Lower both hands until you are near the tabletop.
- Release your left fingers and then your left thumb.
- Slowly place the tip onto the table.
- Lower the handles until they too touch the table.
- Un-pinch your two right fingers and release your grip by lifting your right index finger and then your right thumb..
Offer each child the opportunity to pick up and carry the scissors.
Once they have all had a turn excuse them one at a time, making sure each child has thought of what he would like to de next.