To bring the consciousness of the child to the function of the preposition.
5 years onwards
- Three or four objects such as flowers, pencils, a vase if you have flowers, a box if you use pencils.
- Grammar symbols
- Supply tray
- Prepared slips, each with a noun phrase for each flower/pencil joined with a conjunction and another with a noun phrase describing the vase/ box.
- Prepared cards for use with the farm, one set with noun phrase and a second with prepositions.
- Invite the children to come with you.
- Go to the shelf and bring the material to the table.
- Sit and have the children sit.
- Give the first child the prepared label with the words: “the blue flower and the white flower and the red flower”.
- Have him read it and then go and get the material.
- Have him put each flower above the correct words.
- Give the second child the prepared label with the words: “the glass vase”.
- Have him read it and then go get the material.
- Have him place that above the label.
- Tell the third child that you do not have a prepared label for him but you will write one for him.
- Write “in” in red and give it to the child.
- Have him read it.
- Put the words together in a line in that order “the blue flower and the white flower and the red flower” and further away “the glass vase”.
- Between the two labels, put the written label “in”.
- Have the children read the words.
- Ask the children if the flowers are in the vase. Have them put the flowers in the vase.
- Say that you will now write something else, for example “beside”.
- Place this label where the ‘in’ label was and have the children read the words.
- Have the children put the flowers beside the vase.
- Repeat using other prepositions.
- Have the children symbolize the phrase asking the usual questions.
- For the preposition use the question: “What is the word that shows you the relationship between the words ?”
- Introduce the new symbol for the preposition.
- Have the children read the everything again.
- Have the children put the material back in the box.
- Introduce the prepared labels for the farm.
- Work as above with these labels.
- When you are done, have the children put the material back on the shelf.